Skip to main content

The 7/7/7 Challenge

Hello imaginauts! Sorry for my absence: real-world work and grad school have kept me away. But I've been tagged in the 7/7/7 challenge by Sara Letourneau, and I'm here to accept!

The rules of the 7/7/7 Challenge are super-simple:
  1. Go to page 7 of your WIP.
  2. Scroll down to Line 7.
  3. Share the next 7 sentences in a blog post.
  4. After the excerpt, tag 7 other writers to continue the challenge.
So here it is!

"Every child in The City was required to attend, from the wealthy students in the nearby Central City, to the poorer ones who had to travel an hour by mono from The Outskirts. Gwendolyn lived in Mid-Town, close enough to walk, but only just.Hundreds of other children swarmed around her, jostling her as she stood unmoving against the morning tide. Each of them wore The School’s uniform: grey skirt or slacks, charcoal jacket, and a pair of shiny black shoes that clicked with each step. Gwendolyn hated those shoes. No matter how many pairs her mother made her try on, they never seemed to fit right, and always pinched her toes. With a long sigh, she surrendered herself to the current."

Hmmm. Time to tag some other suckers. I mean, treasured writing companions.
I challenge:
Have fun!

Comments

  1. Very nice, Brent! The excerpt gives us an idea of some of your worldbuilding for the book. I loved the bit about Gwendolyn's shoes, too. I think we can all relate to her irritation there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Brent! You write with a rhythm, which is an amazing talent, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everybody! Use this to add comments or suggestions.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday!

Five years ago today, I woke up on a bus, unable to sleep. I was chaperoning a field trip of fifth graders to Washington DC, and the kid behind me wouldn't stop kicking my seat in his sleep, robbing me of mine. So I whipped out my new iPad, fired up the pages app, with the decision that I should right something for my then-unborn child.
I sat and thought about what kind of story I would like to read to my future kid. I thought about what kind of role model I would want my daughter to have. (Sorry, Teddy, thought you were a girl at the time.) And I decided that I wanted a little girl with a big imagination who would challenge everything. And she needed something to struggle against. A city with no imagination, a city that was dull and grey, a city stuck in its ways where new ideas were frowned upon.

So I thought of a name. Gwendolyn. Gwendolyn... Gray. Like the City itself. And a title. The Marvelous Adventures of. And I tapped out those words most appropriate to a story about storie…

ENGLAND: Day 7+8-Last Call!

For our last day and a half, we had some more literature inspired spots to hit! First off, The London Zoo, home of Winnie the Bear, inspiration for Winnie the Pooh. A.A.Milne took his soon Christopher Robin here all the time.











After the zoo, we booked it over to Westminster Abbey for our tour.

The cathedral is amazing. I'll give some pics, but they aren't mine, since no photography is allowed.

EERIE Release Party!

Hey imaginauts! My good friend C.M.McCoy is all set to release her new book EERIE! IT looks awesome, and I Can't wait to get my hands on it. There are a TON of giveaways going on with this release, so check below, and find it on facebook!

Book Title: EERIE Genre: NA Paranormal Romance Length: 430 pages Cover: Coming soon Link to Amazon/Goodreads: Also coming soon :-) Release Date: 15 Dec 2015 Available ARC formats: Paperback, PDF, and .mobi Synopsis: Being a ParaScience freshman is a nightmare come true
Hailey’s dreams have always been, well...vivid. As in monsters from her nightmares follow her into her waking life vivid. When her big sister goes missing, eighteen-year-old Hailey finds the only thing keeping her safe from a murderous 3,000-year old beast is an equally terrifying creature who has fallen “madly” in love with her. Competing to win her affection, the Dream Creature, Asher, lures her to the one place that offers safety—a ParaScience university in Alaska he calls home. There, sh…